Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Happy Double-Digit Day!


My oldest recently celebrated her Double-Digit Day. Yep, that's her in her jammies. Just woke up (hence the hair) and is all kinds of excited to be 10. In honor of her, I'm sharing a video of one of her favorite songs, Firework by Katy Perry.
I remember hearing recently that Katy sang this song with a young autistic girl at a fundraiser for autism. I didn't think much of it at the time, but as I decided to post this in Avery's honor, I watched it and it made me cry. As a mom of girls on the spectrum, I appreciate anyone who lends their talents to raising awareness of autism and the good that can be done to help kids like mine not just reach their potential, but express themselves as the individuals that they are. Something that us "neurotypicals" often take for granted.
Anyway, I find the lyrics of this song to be so true for my girls - they are definitely fireworks in their mama's eyes, "even brighter than the moon, moon, moon..."

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl! Loved the video - made me cry too xx

    ReplyDelete